BMH Online  Projects


[Back to Projects]

In 2020, due to my mum running a thrift shop and there being a demand for bikes, I got involved in fixing some up. I'm not sure why that didn't reoccur in 2021, but in 2022 it has, and five more bikes required attention.

The bike at the front, an Apollo Outrage was already in great condition, and just needed the rear brake's outer cable replacing as it had got rusty inside and the cable was jammed.

The small pink one, a Molly bike, with miss-matched saddle, and Action Man stabilizers, needed the tyres pumping up and a test ride (the spokies demanded it - I remember having them on my own bike, up until I was 10)... The test ride revealed that even when the saddle was as tight as I could get it, it would still tilt under the weight of a 40 year old guy, but would probably be fine for a small girl... I noted that due to the lack of factory-fitted rear bake, it wasn't technically road legal; to improve things I fitted a (pink) bell.

The white bike at the back, another Apollo-branded one, needed the rear gear cable replacing as it had been cut short and there was insufficient length remaining to adjust the gears correctly. The bike also needed a clean but I didn't get round to doing that...

The following peach/orange/sun-bleached-red-coloured bike just needed some air in the tyres:

Next up, this vintage 'R.E.W. Reynolds' caught my eye:

Mechanically it was sound and just required a new innertube for the rear wheel and the handlebars straightening a little. The previous owner must have only recently replaced the chain and tyres (although they were clearly cheap ones); the brakes and gears were perfect with just some fine-tuning required.

There was surface rust on the frame but I elected to leave that as it was since it needed time and dedication to do it justice rather than a quick 'tart-up' from a can of gloss black. The wheel rims were also heavily patina'd and while I had the rear one off to replace the innertube I attempted to tackle it with 'WD-40' and 600-grit wet and dry. Sadly this did next to nothing for the patch between the spokes I tried it on (I have used this method on rusty suspension forks), but it improved the braking surface of the rims.

Now with the rear tyre with air in I gave the bike the obligator test ride, and I have to say I quite liked riding it! I attached a rear reflector to the seat post... and then realised there was one on the rear mud-guard... oh well, now it has two!



[See 2020's bikes] [Back to Top]